Want to Be a Better LGBTQIA+ Ally? Here's How...
Updated: Sep 19, 2022
Showing your support for the LGBT community is all about taking action, especially if you are a straight white person. Recognize that privledge, if you have it and USE IT. Fighting for equality doesn't mean you have to march and protest. Monthly donations to your local LGBT Advocacy Office is a great start.
Being an ally is actually easier than one may think. Here's a quick start guide on how to be a better ally and friend to your LGBTQIA+ friends, family and coworkers. The impact of listening can save a life! 9 examples of being a good ally, provided by GLAAD:
Be a listener.
Be willing to talk.
Be inclusive and invite LGBT friends to hang out with your friends and family.
Don't assume that all your friends and co-workers are straight. Someone close to you could be looking for support in their coming-out process. Not making assumptions will give them the space they need.
Anti-LGBT comments and jokes are harmful. Let your friends, family and co-workers know that you find them offensive.
Confront your own prejudices and bias, even if it is uncomfortable to do so.
Defend your LGBT friends against discrimination.
Believe that all people, regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation, should be treated with dignity and respect.
Educate Yourself with some Basics:
- Learn what LGBTQIA+ stands for and what each Pride flag represents.
- Learn why pronouns are so important.
- Learn what it means to be trans.
- Learn about cyberbullying and the safety concerns that the LGBTQIA community are struggling with daily.
- What issues are the LGBTQIA+ Community facing at a federal level?
- Share and be aware of the safety tips for being online as an LGBTQIA+ person.
- Understand what a "SAFE SPACE" is and offer one. For example, a travel and booking site dedicated to inclusivity.
- Understand the struggles black LGBTQIA+ youth face.
- What Legal issues are the LGBTQIA+ community combating today?
- Murders of Black and Brown Trans Women are the highest of all non-gender conforming and transgender fatalities so far in 2021.
- The Marsha P. Johnson Institute
- The Sylvia Rivera Law Project
Thanks for taking the time to read this. SHARING this link, is one small way to show your support and openness to the LGBTQIA+ Community.
#fauselimagery #LGBTQIApride #BLM #LGBTQIABLM